Monday, January 16, 2012

POP~POP~POPCORN!

I LOVE POPCORN.
There is POPCORN popping on the apricot trees

and there is the "orville" kind
I used to indulge (on the orville kind) at least once or twice a week.
Love the smell, 
love the taste, 
love the toppings.
But...
this kind of POPCORN
ceiling POPCORN -I can live without!
and will do just that!
For those who are still living in the 70's or early 80's and want to know how to get rid of that ugly dust collecting popcorn ceiling.  It is really quite easy.
you will need this 
(a yard spayer for bugs or weeds, be sure it is clean)
and this (a dry wall trial)
and this  - a sturdy ladder
Now my son said he has removed plenty of 
POPCORN ceilings and he has used this
(everyday water hose)
but somehow, bringing a hose into my house and spraying my ceiling seemed a little nerve wrecking.

Technique:
WARNING- this is easy but VERY MESSY!  It gets everywhere!
  1. Cover your clothing, wear glasses and a hat if you want to.
  2. Cover the floor with some kind of tarp or plastic that you will throw away when done.
  3. Fill the sprayer with warm water and spray the entire ceiling. Coat it well
  4. Leave the water to soak for about 15 minutes.
  5. Climb the ladder and use the drywall trial to scrap the ceiling.
  6. If its hard to scrape you haven't used enough water or haven't waited long enough. (It will come as easy as spreading butter- literally)
  7. The popcorn will drop onto the tarp in massive wet amounts.
Be sure not to "gouge" the ceiling with the sharp corners of the trial.
Wa-la!  Your done. 
It took me about 45 minutes to do a 15X20 room.  


4 comments:

BLStradling said...

A woman of so many talents! You are a amazing a ever!!!

Candice and Steve said...

This is a great tutorial. It now needs to be made into a video and put on YOuTube. ha!!!!

Sassy said...

I 'll bet you are so happy to have that gone......I hate the popcorn ceilings....but I have to admit.....POPCORN is my FAVORITE HOT COOKED MEAL!!!!!

Sassy said...

PLUS PLUS PLUS......Could you be any cuter....even covered in all your hard work....YOU ARE STILL ADORABLE.....for some dadgum reason I am a devout follower of all things fattening.....♫♪♫I WANT TO BE YOU OO OO♫♪