and realized that I have quite the collection of "doilies".
Some are from my mother, some from my step mother, some from my mother in law,some from the local flee market, some from antique shops...
well.... you get the picture.
So I asked myself what do you do with this quite large collection
of beautiful handiwork?
Some are probably machine madebut many were delicately made with someone's hands and a crochet hook.
Someone somewhere spent hours making these!
They are NOT meant to be hidden, shoved in the drawers or closets...
They should be on display, for others to enjoy.
(What is the church says about talents and hiding them?)
So here's what I came up with....
My dining room table seats 10 and is quite large so I used 22 doilies to make this runner.
I would love to take all the credit of coming up with the idea.... but alas
the internet is a wonderful thing. I snagged the idea here
I would love to take all the credit of coming up with the idea.... but alas
the internet is a wonderful thing. I snagged the idea here
Anyhoo... you take some embroidery thread,
and tie little knots in multiple places (many many knots)
This keeps them in place as you have to move the runner.
Also, these knots are not permanent, so when I change my mind next week
then I will be able to take them apart and use them in other ways.
and tie little knots in multiple places (many many knots)
This keeps them in place as you have to move the runner.
Also, these knots are not permanent, so when I change my mind next week
then I will be able to take them apart and use them in other ways.
So, those of you who have the same beautiful doilies inside your drawers, or inside the linen closet, check out the links below.
They can be a beautiful addition to your home.
Hum.... how about making a WEDDING DRESS? or this WEDDING DRESS(too cute!) lamp shade? garland, frame them, starch them and shape them for various things, sew them onto scarfs, sew them together and make a blanket, headband or put them on armchairs, couches, pillows, make a shirt out of them, flower, necklace, scarf, and the list can go on and on......
They can be a beautiful addition to your home.
Hum.... how about making a WEDDING DRESS? or this WEDDING DRESS(too cute!) lamp shade? garland, frame them, starch them and shape them for various things, sew them onto scarfs, sew them together and make a blanket, headband or put them on armchairs, couches, pillows, make a shirt out of them, flower, necklace, scarf, and the list can go on and on......




4 comments:
Amazing! Thanks for sharing another one of your many talents!
Again.....your brain....you know what I mean!
Thanks for doing all the research for the rest of us!
That is a really neat idea! My grandma Partridge used to make those all the time. My mom has a million of them!
Post a Comment