Surprise! What a sweet, memory provoking surprise!
I was rummaging through an old truck I have in my bedroom. I probably haven't look in that trunk for maybe 10 years. It's rather large and full of lots and lots of old memories. The kind of memories that some people may not understand. It contains torn and tattered "blankies", an old kilt, first pair of dance shoes, Kindergarten craft projects, Pinewood derby cars, a few little trophies, a lil this and a lil that......
My eyes were drawn to an object. It was something bundled up in a piece of upholstery material and slipped into a ziplock baggie.
Oh my! I had totally forgotten about this book. It belonged to my Mom and she sent it to me years ago. She told me she read it when she was younger and it actually belonged to her Granny.At the time she sent it to me, I was not too interested in reading it, so I wrapped it up and put it in a baggie and tucked it away for safe keeping. You know that "safe keeping" where it's so safe you either forgot where it was or forgot you even had it!
What a wonderful thing it was to find it.
My mom is now gone which makes it even more special to me now.
It's made of leather and as you can see it is somewhat damaged. It's very old. It was printed in the early 1900's when they actually drew the illustrations. Each chapter begins with the first letter of the first word in Calligraphy and the first paragraph in italics.My mom is now gone which makes it even more special to me now.
So here's the deal.I am finally reading the book, and almost done.
(Love love love the book!)
And when I am done, I want to somehow fix the book.
Not necessarily restore the book, but fix it so it won't fall apart.
I love the old tattered torn antique look.
I am not looking to retain the value necessarily either.
It mostly is a sentimental thing that I want to "preserve" in the condition its in.
So my friends,
Here's where you come into the picture.
Lets hear some of YOUR brillant ideas
on how to "fix" the book.
Here's where you come into the picture.
Lets hear some of YOUR brillant ideas
on how to "fix" the book.


2 comments:
What a find! I know how much you love old, antique books. I saw something on the History Channel once about bookbinding and antique books....very interesting, but, of course, I don't remember any of it!
you are the queen of creativity... I'm sure you have a better idea than anyone else would
Post a Comment