Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Table Update

Okay, here's the update.  
For any of those have been tracking my ordeal with 
Annie Sloan paints.  
Let me first say it is definitely NOT the product.  I love this product, it is definitely the "painter".
Waxing!  Let me tell you from experience, do NOT over wax.  
(I used about the same amount as I would have when waxing a car)
no no no!!! too much
LESS IS MORE!


Let's make the story a little more interesting....
So how did I fix the table? Well sit back and read on....
#1
So you know me by now and know I really am NOT an Arizonan!  (the heat kills me!)
But -- thank goodness for this one time- *ONE TIME*, 
I live in AZ.
Here's the solution, well at least MY solution.
I moved the table outside, in the direct heat.  (eeekkkk)
Watching it carefully so the paint would not fade, 
I kept a keen eye on it and slowly saw the wax melt.  
At first it looked sticky, then it began to look watery,
Thats it! It melted.
I used an electric buffer, and removed the wax. 
(thank you electric buffer because my arms were getting pretty tired of all the buffing I was trying!) 
I venture to say, I removed pretty much all of it.
Then, I brought the table inside, and let it "cool down"
I'm not in love anymore.  all the faux antiquing is gone.
Decision time..... So now what do I do?
#2
I can try the re-waxing thing.... um NO! 
Not gonna make that mistake again.  
Maybe it was bad karma to paint it red? (even though I loved it)
So I got a stripper...(sing it with me....da da da... da da da da..... take it off baby)
Let me tell you... stripping is NOT what it used to be.  
ITS A MIRACLE!  Just paint this stuff on....
wait 15 minutes, and then using a plastic scraper.... it all comes off.
Not too difficult.
HD told me 1 can would be enough.... but alas, no....
So off the Hubz went to buy me another can.
(Thanks honey) 
Don't you love the mismatched double L hand gloves I had to use.... hahaha (guess I'm just too cheap to buy a new pair!
The stripper worked and removed it all down to the bare roots wood! Beautiful!  
#3
So now decisions again!  Stain or Repaint. 
John's vote- stain, brown!  (plain jane if you ask me)
But I have BRIGHTER ideas.  This time maybe yellow.
Annie Sloan - Arles paint 
a little water added to thin the paint so if you look close, the wood grain is showing through.
I'm in love all over again!!
TA - DA!
Just the perfect amount of brightness added to the dark room. 
And if you can believe it-- JOHN LIKES IT!
In fact, he likes it better than the red.
 I wanted the "older distressed look" 
so I did a faux finish around the edges
and repainted the stencil design.
 See if you can count all the colors in the faux edge.  
darker yellow, gold, red, and brown.
Yep, thats 4 colors and I didn't mind the extra work.
so you ask, what about the wax?  
Well, I shy'd away from it and ended up using 
Matte Polyurethane coating. 
Its hard, its semi shiny, and durable enough for all my g'kiddies!
I'm a happy camper (and so is the Hubz!)
Now all I need to do is decide what I want to do with that 
ugly Arcadia door.  
Suggestions!!??!!

1 comment:

NIKKISMTIH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.