(November 9th 2012)
TRADITIONS- and how we keep our balance.....
TRADITIONS- and how we keep our balance.....
I am all about them, mostly because I grew up without them.
So throughout the years of being a mom
I've created some traditions for my family.
When it came to this holiday season,
I wanted a new tradition for my family.
So they would last for many many years.....
My posterity would remember something from the "old days"
One tradition is that Grandma (Faye)
always makes her "special" fruit cake.
My husband LOVES them. He craves them....
(me not so much but I do like them with butter eaten like bread)
Being she is 85 years old I just couldn't let learning that tradition pass without
her teaching me and my girls how to make fruit cake.
So we did!
Recipe:
I like the notes on the bottom- made in 1971 and 1974- but then every year after that!
Recipe:
I like the notes on the bottom- made in 1971 and 1974- but then every year after that!
YUCK!!! What is this gray green goop?
It is dates cooking down to the final stage.
(not too pleasant looking ... sorry)
Then the cutting of the candied Cherries, Pineapple and nuts!
Adding OJ and Pineapple juice keeps the whole mixture moist.
Grandma always one step ahead, measuring ingredients
two mixers later, we are looking at ONE batch.
filling the bread pans
Stop for a little "cheesy" smile
While the batches cook in the oven,
Aunt Kim brought a little christmas craft to pass the time.
No cooking is done without a little
peek-a-boo with great Grandma!
Thanks Grandma for taking the time to teach us this tradition you began years and years ago.


No comments:
Post a Comment