It's 3 months until our Missionary comes home.
(♥♥be still my heart!♥♥)
Which means many things
(but below is the one I am focusing on today)
I must return his bedroom from the
"playroom" that my grandkids have been using
back into a bedroom.
So... me being the girly girl I am
ask, how do I decorate a mans room?
(yep, he left as a teenager and he's coming home a man)
without any ♪♫ fru fru ♪♫ girly frills ♪♫or vintage antiques involved?
ALL THIS TALK ABOUT CHEVRON'S.......
no.... I don't mean this:
I mean this:
chev·ron/ˈSHevrən/ Noun:
|
|
got me thinking....
Gray Navy and Mustard Yellow.
Those could be A MANS ROOMS COLORS!
So what should I use for inspiration?
I could use this:
and that's just what I did.
I began with the search for paint.
After 5 different colors of yellow I came up with this combination:
Silver Screen, Powdered Snow,
and Saffron Strands
Then the search was on for matching fabrics and trims.
This was not easy
because everything I found had flowers or frills on it.
I stuck to plain fabric & slowly put some things together.
And then finally, at Hobby Lobby I found the magical
gray and cream chevron fabric.
(At $10 a yard, I use my 50% off coupon and got another great deal- I ♥ Hobby Lobby)
then the work began.
First I had to prime the forrest green walls in the bedroom TWICE.
(Never knew one wall could have so many nail holes it is either)
then painted 3 walls with the Silver Screen
and 1wall with the Powdered Snow.
We installed a new ceiling fan (fixing the mismatch wiring)
(I'm not a ceiling fan fan.... but I know he wants one)
Replaced the 30 year old nasty base molding.
and out with the old carpet, in with the new.
The Hubz
(trim carpenter, finish carpenter, carpet installer, electrician, aka jack of all trades)
cased in the window
and installed new wooden blinds.
And then the "FUN" began.
I had to keep reminding myself that less is more,
keep it simple and clean looking
No frills no fru fru......
I found a great deal at Kohls on a
Vera Wang Gray comforter, 2 pillowscases,
2 pillow shams, and bed skirt.
(reg $364 on clearance with extra $10 cash coupon I got it for $63- Woo Hoo!)
This picture doesn't do the comforter justice- its beautiful and the "perfect" gray.
A Sealy 2" memory Foam mattress topper
(Regularly $169 for $59.99)
and some microfiber (softer than soft) new sheets.
Now we're in business.
Here is what I did with the fabric:
Made curtains and a cornice
Repainted a lamp and covered a lamp shade
Made a Headboard out of an old window
that came from his Great Grandpa's Grant Harper Rogers home.
Made some throw pillows and
added some trim to the Pillow Shams.
(Candice/Peg/and Steph- see the triangle pillow-
well that's my only rendition of quilting you'll ever see me do
--oh boy don't look too close to the corners! HA!)
and the pièce
de résistance
I refurbished an old vintage oak dresser
(Recognize it Kayola?)
that I purchased from a friend.
(Okay Okay, yes, I had to throw in a couple of antiques : p )
Now all I need is a perfect chair
so he can sit in the corner and read his scriptures.
With that I think we'll be in business for his return.
Side note: Funny thing.... he'll probably only return for about a month or so and then bam-- off to college! HAHA


4 comments:
You are AMAZING! You have more talent in your little toe than I have in my whole body!
if he goes away to college AND gets married in a few months (speaking from experience) I'LL come live in that darling room. you did a great job ~ even on your pieced pillow. way to go!!
OH MY STARS AND GARTERS!!!!! I ♥ ♥ ♥ WHAT YOU HAVE DONE and should I ask for that dresser back now hahahaha no SERIOUSLY LOVE IT!!!! You my friend are AMAZING!!!!
You are AMAZING period.
Will I EVER grow up to be like you?
Post a Comment