Monday, July 30, 2012

Compassion....

Picture this...
grocery store...... check out..... fast lane.
elderly feeble thin man in front of the line.
Cashier rolling her eyes, attitude in her stance,
saying something rude I am sure
Her attitude catches my attention.
You know what I mean don't you... 
(like she screaming internally,) 
Elderly man searching his pockets, 
the floor, all over, confused
My ears perk up and I pay more attention....
He says, "I must have lost it..."
Cashier responds-  "So!!, do you have it or not?"
Elderly man pulls out several cards from a shirt pocket.
"Will one of these work?" asking for help.
Cashier answers.... "Well How should I know?" 
"That's something YOU have to know- not me"
Now picture this....
Me almost in tears for the rudeness and
 disrespect shown by the cashier
"Please, Let me pay for it Sir"
He.. oh miss.... please no,  I am so embarrassed.
It's not much....
Please, let me help this time, 
and then you can pay it forward at another time....
He- flustered and uncomfortable agrees......
I pay for his groceries. 
Trying hard not to speak or 
look at the cashier as she finished my transaction
she finally says.
"Thank you ma'am for paying for his groceries" 
I would have had to VOID 
the transaction if you hadn't come to the rescue.
my comment.
No problem, have a nice day..
but I was thinking.........
I rescued HIM from YOU 
not the other way around.  


No comments: