Monday, February 22, 2016

29 Feb 2016 #11 Did your family have special ways of celebrating specific holidays?


Did your family have special ways of celebrating specific holidays?

This will be a short post.
I actually don't remember too much about holidays growing up. My mom wasn't a "froo froo" type of lady.  She was always sensible, and never went overboard.  I would venture to say that even if she had the money to do so I don't think she would have. Don't get me wrong, We celebrated the holidays, it just wasn't a big deal.

I do remember Easter baskets, jelly beans and candy, but we didn't have little present, no Easter Dresses, no Easter Egg hunts, no Easter celebration dinner or party.  We didn't attend church to celebrate.  I don't think we even talked about the real reason for Easter. So we would get up and find our easter baskets and the rest of the day was a normal day.

I remember Christmas tree's and decorating it. I remember stringing some garland in a zig zag across the ceiling in the hallway.  There were presents under the tree and the girls running down the hall to open them.  I don't remember Christmas lights on the house or anything like that.  No celebrations for Christ.  We didn't attend church. In fact, I don't think I ever went to church with my Mom.  She did watch or mention watching a Catholic Midnight mass on TV and I think she even went once but we or maybe I should say I never went with her.  If  I did go to church it was with my friends family.  Baptist, Methodist, Jehovah Witness, and even went to a 7th Day Adventist church.

I do have one Christmas story to tell.  I must have been 9 or so.  Judy was probably about 6 then.  We were sitting on the floor untangling the Christmas light for the tree.  These lights were those largers old fashioned glass bulbs.  My mom was testing the light and Judy was holding the good lights in one hand and bad lights in the other hand. It was lunch time and we all had a sandwich we were eating.  Well, instead of taking a bite of the sandwich, Judy popped one of the bulbs in her mouth and swallowed it.  She began freaking out and no one believed her.  But my mom rushed her to the hospital and sure enough, in that xray there was a light bulb.  They sent her home and told Mom to check the toilet until she passed it.  and she did.  But the whole time she had that bulb inside her she would scream and cry if we even touched her in fear it would break inside.  What a memory- poor Judy.  We laugh about it now, but I am sure it was devastating to her then.  Love you J!


As we all grew up we kinda all went our own ways.  I mean even when I was in Jr. High and High school, we did our own thing.  But when we were younger, holidays were mostly just Mom and the 5 Twining girls, no other family around to celebrate with or have dinner with.
But it was good.  
It was simple and good.  
Thank you Mom for everything you did to make it good for us! 
Love you and miss you every day.




No comments: