Monday, October 8, 2012

Trabeculectomy

My glaucoma journey continues....
The "worth more than gold" mediation is not working.  After 2 months of using the clear liquid "gold", the pressure remains the same in both eyes.  Unfortunately, Dr. Lewis does see a little more damage so we are at 71% vision loss in my right eye and the same in my left eye.

Dr. Lewis restates his position that we must be aggressive to ensure no more sight is lost.  
My heart stopped. 

Trabectome is a new minimally invasive surgery to treat glaucoma. During the procedure, the ophthalmologist makes a tiny incision (1.6 mm) in the eye to access the eye's internal drainage system which is affected by glaucoma. Trabectome surgery is quick; usually lasting less than 30 minutes

Minimally  invasive??!!
It's a hole in your eye!
your EYE for Heaven Sakes!
You know I joke about my husband being the "self healer" in the family, but I guess I am right beside him. I stay away from Doctors and the medical field as much as possible.  I feel doctors have nothing but bad news.... so why go?  I know this is not a death sentence, but it is a "sight" sentence. A precious thing. 


So here I am.... its decision time....
  I actually felt like I was going to throw up.  Really?  
I am so much stronger than that!! so why?  
I felt a alone sitting there in the doctors office.  I wanted someone to tell me what to say.  Dr. Lewis was staring at me waiting for an answer.  As tears filled my eyes I felt someone tap me on the shoulder.  I actually turned around in my chair.  I knew it was my mom.  Seriously, she tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around..... I couldn't see her but I felt her. ( I love you Mom!) She whispered to me ....  "I am here"  That warm feeling overcame me and I told him to go ahead and schedule the surgery appointment.  And, SHE made my initial thought be that I must to go to my Heavenly Father and ask him if my decision is right.  But......
Was that my decision? 
Sidenote: I am so thankful for Conference!  It was the most spiritual conference for me especially Elder Hollands Talk- "Lord thou knowest I love thee" three times!  What power there was in that sermon!!  And there were so many other good ones, most saying trust in the Lord he will not lead you astray.  I KNOW this in the depths of my soul.  I know he will not give me anything I can't endure. I know my trials may be trivial to others.  And now hours later, the only thing I keep coming back to is SERVICE.  Serve others and your troubles won't seem so bad.  I am lucky I have the Holy ghost and my Mom still in my life. So....... My due course.... Serve and forget myself. 
So...back to the topic on hand.....Trabeculectomy
Be careful - if you choose to watch the below video.  
it might turn your stomach. It did mine....


1 comment:

Tatum Rogers said...

Oh no :( I am sure the surgery is going to go great, Have Klete give you a blessing before hand. When do you have to get it done? Sorry to hear this. Love you!