Monday, July 13, 2009

Consignment Coincident or Tender Mercies


John and I have been looking for a large dining room table to fit our "crew". With economy the way it is, we decided not to spend the $1000 but to go "recycled" instead. So we hit the Consignment shops. We found just the table we needed. As John loaded up the table into the truck, I decided to scan through the rest of the shop
[ thrift&consignment stores + Bobbi =Love]
It was packed. Economy is hitting everyone!
I basically RAN through the store [remember John is waiting outside].... nothing interesting! Then I thought I'd take a minute to look through the books. I stood behind 2 nice ladies, looking over their shoulder trying to see the titles. I went through all the shelves and started to walk away, but I didn't feel done. So I went back. There -it caught my eye. "The Rich are Different" By Susan Howatch Why? I don't really know. I didn't have a chance to even read the inside cover, [remember John is waiting outside]
but .50-- Best bargain in town.
BAM it was purchased.

Continuing-
Yesterday after the family left and things settled down, I took out that book and began to read. It was about an American man who goes to England in 1920's and financially aids a young woman who is about to loose her estate.

He travels to England (OMG - I ♥ the UK)
He travels from London to HUNSTANTON (OMG by birth place!)
He visits the Cliffs of Hunstanton (OMG -my backdoor!!)
He describes the lavendar hills (OMG-I can still smell them!!!!)
He see the Broad Moors (OMG- boated down them many times!!!!)

Did I mention OMG-- no O M G !!

Then, he and the young woman took a walk and happened upon an old Cathedral. Once inside, he finds an inscription carved into the wall......
All you that do this place pass bye
Remember death for you must dye
As you are now then so was I
And as I am so that you be.

Why is that important? When my mom passed away 4 years ago my sisters and I discovered a truck full of her memorabilia. Inside that trunk my mother had handwritten this poem.
I am sure she did it when she knew she was dying.

Now I ask you....
Consignment Coincident or Tender Mercies??

4 comments:

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

I vote for Tender Mercy!

Debbie said...

This post gave me goosebumps and brought a tear to my eye. Tender Mercies---hands down!

BLStradling said...

You are the most amazing lady!!! Thanks for sharing that inspiring story! Tender mercy for sure! Love you!

Sassy said...

OHHH my stars!!! Absolutely a valentine from heaven for you....I think your Mom must have been saying HI to you and letting you know she is thinking about you....loved this story....