Tuesday, August 9, 2016

School Details

Where did you go to school? Give some details about what was school like for you and some of your memorable experiences. What were your favorite subjects in school? Explain why.  What subjects did you like the least? Explain why.  Who were some of your friends in school? Explain what your friends were like and what they are doing today if you know that.  If you went to college or a vocational school, what school did you attend? Describe what memories you have of those years and what subjects you studied.

Okay so it is July 25th and I have missed about 4 months of journaling. So I am going to combine 5 questions into one post.  Lets see how it turns out... 

I went to Kindergarten through 2nd grade in England.  I rode the bus to Schothrope AFB with my sisters.  I got bus sick almost every morning.  I don't remember much about the school.  
I started out 3rd grade in Denison Tx at Golden Rule Elementary School.  It was a small school that was located by the "Peanut Factory" which kinda smelled.  Just down the street was Freds.  Freds was a local mom and pop Circle K type of market.  I mention this because this little store was one of my only times I got in trouble at school.  We had recess and lunch at the same time and it switched occasionally.  Lunch first then recess and it would switch recess first and then lunch.  My friend had permission to walk to Freds at lunch time.  (I did not).  So.... we got recess and lunch mixed up and walked to Freds when we thought lunch was to be.  Then it took us longer than we thought and we got back late.  “Well when we got back, everyone was up in arms.... I walked into my classroom and they were just leaving for lunch.  My teacher yelled “Bobbi you go to the Principals office immediately” I’m guessing they though I was intentionally skipping school.  I went to the principal’s office, got a spanking, he called my mom, my mom had to leave work and come pick me up.  I thought my life was over. Really the whole ordeal was really quite innocent.  Needless to say I never walked to Freds again.  
My 4rd grade teacher was Mrs. Anderson and I loved her. She was an older white haired lady who was very kind to me.  
As an adult, I visited the school,  and realized just how small it really was. Unfortunately it has been torn down now.  
Wow... I guess I AM old!
I went to McDaniel Jr High school
which was located pretty much downtown Denison.   I rode the bus- which of course was NOT cool.  I was a Twirler for the band and played the clarinet like my older sister Joanne.  I loved being a twirler (which is different than a majorette) but some of my friends were trying out for cheer and so did I.  I made it and was so excited!  Go Hornets!! McDaniel was a old three story building - and pretty old even in my day.  
But I LOVED IT!
Across the street was Watsonburger.  The best burger joint in town.  All my friends would eat lunch there, but I didn't have money (just those old bologna sandwiches)  but enjoyed walking across and getting lunch with my friends.  Mom gave us 15cents for a carton of milk, and I would save that up and occasionally get a shake or something. At this time girls wore dresses to school and they had to come down to the middle of our index finger.  (Twiggy Style) I had lots of great memories cheering and making new friends.  
A silly memory that I have is….   the high school boys would drive over to the Jr. High and watch the girls do PE outside for 5th and 6th period.  I had PE 5th and Cheer 6th.  One day for PE we were running track around the school (in our one piece PE uniforms) and some arrogant High school boy called out to me from his car.... "Hey Sparkle legs" again "Hey Sparkle Legs" ..... "when's your mom gonna let you shave?"  At first I didn't get it, but then it hit me.  My blonde hair on my legs was sparkling in the sun.  I was sooo embarrassed.  That night without permission from my mom, I used my sister razor and shaved my legs. 
And... Paul Willliams... oh Paul!!!  Hunk of DHS!  He was a year under my oldest sister, was a Sr. in high school when I was in the 9th grade.  I had met him at one of the High school games and he was friends with one of my friends older sister.  He was the most handsome man at Denison High, the football Quarterback, and he called me!!!!  Yep , he called ME when I was in the 9th grade and asked me out.  I begged my mom.... beg is not quite strong enough, pleaded, begged, moaned and begged some more... and she said no.  I was too young.  It crushed me- I thought my life was over!  You can’t imagine the sadness I had when I had to tell him no.    
But. my oh my.. how times have changed!  I would have been about 14.  Dating had never really been on my mind.  Not even in a group. (Good call mom!) 
My favorite school subjects in Jr & High School were English, History, Science and Socializing!  Hated math.  I had a great Science teacher who motivated me- can't remember his name anymore.  But I was a straight A student, always.  It came pretty easy to me without much studying.  Always on the Honor roll.  
A couple of my friend were Barbara Jacobs, Rhonda Stull.  I was friends with the cheerleaders.  I was widening my horizons and experiencing new people and things. I had lived such a sheltered life until this time.  It seemed like everyone was rich and had experience so much more than I had.  
Denison High School
Take the Axe Back! Pork chops Pork Chops greasy greasy we can beat the Bobcats Easy Easy! 
I attended Denison High School where I was a cheerleader all three years.  My Best friend was Diana Pipkin was on the cheer squad me.  She and I both had boyfriends that were two years older.  They both graduated while we were sophomores.  So our Jr. and Sr. year we both hung out a lot.  She had a car and I didn’t.  She would start her car with a push button on the dashboard!  Imagine that!  She took me everywhere. Reid Swain (my boyfriend) parents were huge football fans so they would often pick me up to get to the games.  We didn't go on dates, but we went to all the parties and activities and waited for our boyfriends to come into town for dates. I was lucky to have such a great friend with good morals and standards.  I continued to be a straight A student because school was still easy for me.  Some other friends in high school were Susan Eustice, Jerry Means, XXX     It was a happy time in a small town
Those were the days.... and my mom wasn't around much in those days.  She worked and worked.  She expected much and we didn't like to disappoint her.  I was lucky she instilled in me good morals and qualities otherwise I could have been a pretty wild child!  It was the 70's for heavens sakes—
Peace! 
Far out! Cool!  
Keep on Truckin! 
Catch you on the sly! 
Keep on Keepin on! 
Dream On!, 
Pysche! 
Barf ! 
Right on! 
Can ya dig it! 
Don’t be a spaz! 
To the Max! 
Funky!  
Chill out! 
Right on!  
Its like cool man! 
What it is! 
Jive turkey! 







No comments: