Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Grandparents



Share some memories of your grandparents.
Did your grandparents live close by? If so, describe how they were involved in your life. If they lived far away share some memories of visiting them or of them traveling to visit you.  Who were your aunts and uncles? Write about any of your aunts or uncles who really stand out in your mind. Give some details about them (names, personalities, events that you remember doing with them, and so on).

I lived most of my life not knowing any family relations.
It was just my immediate family-my Mom and 4 sisters.  Back in the day..... my day.....  that was a little unusual, but now I think that is considered a "norm".  I didn't really realize I didn't have family because most of the people who lived around us kind of adopted us “Twining girls"  They looked after us and kept my mom informed of all goings on...  what do they say, "it takes a village"!  I can't say that I wasn't jealous of those who had grandparents and were showered by them at Christmas, birthdays, and school events, but I think my mom helped us cope with it by being the strong person she was.  Thanks Mom!  

There are a few memories of mom's family....


The only person who visited from my Mom's side was her Uncle Robert.  We girls called him Uncle Robert as well.    My mom grew up in her granny's house and Uncle Robert was granny’s son.  Jemima was her daughter, so my Mom grew up with her aunts and uncles kinda like her brothers and sisters.  The memory I have of Uncle Robert was he was short and stocky.  He had a Scottish accent which I LOVED!  These memories are from when I was in grade school so they aren’t very clear.  He and his "friend" drove to TX from Canada for a visit.  I am pretty sure he stayed for a day or two.  I really don't remember the visit very much, it was short and we never saw him again.  My older sister Joanne had a relationship with him when they both were in Florida, but that didn't end well.  Uncle Robert live the last years of his life in Canada. I spoke to him a couple of times just briefly. He sent me a few pictures and told me about his life and sent me a family history outline.  He was a double amputee from his diabetes was in a wheelchair, and not able to get around too much.  He lived the last years of his life alone and passed away from Diabetes in Canada in XXXX

The people from my Dad’s side were:

There was my Dad's sister Lola and her husband Frank Robertson. They had two children, Tom and Doreen.  Being young I really never knew why they moved to Texas, but I supposed it was to be around my Dad.  I think my Uncle Frank sold insurance, and Aunt Lola was a stay at home mom.  But I could be way off base as well.  they lived in the same town, but we only had an occasional visit.   

Taken in the backyard in our home in Denison
Lola, Dad, Glen
Doreen Tom Bobbi Joanne
Judy Geraldine
 While Aunt Lola lived in TX, my grandfather Glenn Twining came alone for a visit.  He only visited the one time and I really don't remember much about it.  I do remember his calm loving voice and his beautiful eyes.  They were the same as my Dads.  My Uncle Frank was a lovely man. I think I can say that he loved us with some confidence.  He was kind, soft spoken, and always showed us attention when he was around.  I was afraid of my Aunt Lola.  She was stern and somewhat abrupt and never really acted like she like any of us.  Sometime around the time when my father left for England, Aunt Lola and Uncle Frank moved to Ohio.  My mom and younger sisters visited them once, and I went up there for a few days when I was in elementary school.  
Aunt Lola, Doreen, Geraldine, Judy, Uncle Frank
Taken in Ohio
At some point in time, my Grandfather Glenn Joseph Twining moved to Ohio and passed away there.  23 Nov 1965
After a few years after that, Lola and Frank separated and then divorced on May 5, 1976.  Lola stayed in Ohio and Uncle Frank moved to Florida. Tom and Doreen still live in Ohio but don't have a relationship with each other.  Aunt Lola passed away in 21 Sept 2009 in Ohio and Uncle Frank passed away in  30 April 2009.  I believe due to his severe illness he moved back to Ohio with Doreen where he passed away.  Lola and Frank are buried in the same plot in Ohio.  I'm fine would be just a glimmer into Uncle Franks personality.  He never worried about himself, always about someone else.  
Doreen had one daughter, and lost her husband early.  She has one grandchild but we never from her.  Tom is married with children, I think 3 but I don't know of his whereabouts in Ohio.  Its strange that I am so dedicated to having a strong family when I grew up with very little.

During the times when my dad lived in AZ his mother moved into a motor home in Young.  I visited there as an adult and met Josephine my grandmother.  I remember her coming to the door and how shocked I was because she looked just like my aunt Lola.  We chatted for an hour or so, and then I left.  She gave me a few mementos and some family pictures.  But that was the only conversation I remember having with her.  I wish I had more “nerve” to stay longer, ask more questions, or even start a relationship with her.  But she passed away shortly thereafter and it was too late.

 So there you have it.  
My family in a nutshell.  
And some of them were nuts!  
But a nut never falls far from the tree.
Perhaps that is why I want my family to be "normal" and know and love each other all their lives.  After I am gone, that is the legacy I hope I have instilled. I hope my children have a strong desire to always stay in touch, and to have the cousins close to each other..  Love, forgive, forget, because there is strength in family, and families are ETERNAL!  


No comments: